|I missed the last episode of Cosmos, so I missed this invocation by host Neil deGrasse Tyson about the five simple rules of science:
That's some good stuff. Every time I started watching an episode, I would feel reluctant to press play because I didn't feel like turning my brain on and having to think about something. But every single time, I got completely sucked in and didn't mind having to think. What a great TV series. #science
- Question authority. No idea is true just because someone says so, including me.
- Think for yourself. Question yourself. Don't believe anything just because you want to. Believing something doesn't make it so.
- Test ideas by the evidence gained from observation and experiment. If a favorite idea fails a well-designed test, it's wrong. Get over it.
- Follow the evidence, wherever it leads. If you have no evidence, reserve judgment.
- Remember, you could be wrong. Even the best scientists have been wrong about some things.