|My Panasonic digital camera records movies in .mov format. I don't know why, and I can't change it. The problem is that Windows XP doesn't show thumbnails for .mov files, which is an issue when I want to look through my pictures and videos with the whole "View → Thumbnails" option selected. I searched the internet for a solution several months ago and didn't find anything. I just searched again this morning and found a pretty simple solution, though I'm surprised at how relatively obscure it is and how hard it was to find. Here's what you need to do:
I can't believe I didn't discover this sooner. That really annoys me. And it annoys me that the internet wasn't much help for a while.
- Download QuickThumb.dll from here.
- Copy to C:WindowsSystem32.
- Go to Start → Run and type
- If there's an error, download msvcr70.dll from here and repeat steps 2 and 3.
- Go to a directory with .mov files, switch to thumbnail display, and possibly press F5 to refresh.
(I'm hosting all necessary files here.) #technology